Advertisement
News
Advertisement

Blood Donors Needed as School, Fall Season Returns

Thu, 09/09/2010 - 10:32am
Bio-Medicine.Org

NEW YORK, Sept. 9 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- New York Blood Center (NYBC), serving more than 20 million people in New York City, Long Island, the Hudson Valley and New Jersey, calls upon our communities to please donate blood, after last week's stormy weather and Labor Day holiday weekend have resulted in fewer donations and a less than 2 day supply of O-negative and B-negative blood for patients in need.

Donations from O-negative and B-negative types are particularly needed immediately. NYBC calls upon blood donors to help achieve its goal of a 5-7 day supply of these types.  Of course, healthy people of all blood types and ethnicities are also encouraged to donate and help save lives.

As students return to school and the Summer of 2010 comes to a close, we must remember that the need for blood is constant.  Hospital use of blood products remains high -- due to surgeries, emergencies and care of cancer patients.  About one in seven people entering a hospital needs blood.

People with Rh-negative blood, including A-, B- and O-, comprise just 15% of the population, yet their blood can be safely transfused to the remaining 85%.  People with O-negative blood are known as "universal donors" because their blood can be transfused into anyone.  Type O-negative blood is found in just 6 percent of the population, but is used more often by patients with other blood types, especially in emergency rooms and trauma situations.

With the school season underway, NYBC would like to encourage students, teachers and faculty to please organize blood drives, a process that teaches community service and leadership skills, and engages the surrounding community.  To date, about 600 elementary and middle schools have sponsored Little Doctors Program® blood drives.  NYBC also offers scholarships for high school and college students who initiate and coordinate successful community blood drives.

September also marks t

'/>"/>

SOURCE

Advertisement

Share this Story

X
You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
The password field is case sensitive.
Loading