Need to Stay Up with Manufacturing Change in the Aerospace and Defense Industry? Want a Career in Aerospace Manufacturing? SME is the Industry's Best Resource
For more than a half century, the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) has been the organization aerospace and defense manufacturing industry professionals can turn to for industry knowledge, innovation and career development. Recently, the association announced three aerospace and defense manufacturing events:
AeroDef Manufacturing – An exposition and technical conference that will bring together the entire aerospace and defense manufacturing enterprise – in one location, for the first time. AeroDef will take place April 5 – 7, 2011 at the Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, Calif. Attendees will be able to see the entire manufacturing thread, from enabling technologies to the most advanced systems.
- OEM and supplier teams will demonstrate how they are working together to create integrated solutions that make manufacturing more integrated, efficient and cost effective.
- For those seeking knowledge of new developments, a comprehensive technical conference is being created by a team of experts from Boeing, General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman Lockheed Martin, Bell Helicopter, and other leading OEMs.
Buyers will be able to focus in on the products they need. The exhibit hall will be divided into Technology Zones, to make comparisons easier:
- Advanced Materials
- Digital Manufacturing
- Finishing & Coatings
- Integrated Assembly
- Precision Manufacturing
- Quality Measurement & Inspections
- Supplier Central
Manufacturing Innovations – Aerospace/Defense and Aerospace Measurement, Inspection & Analysis — These events are co-located at the Gaylord Palms Hotel & Convention Center, Kissimmee, Fla., Oct. 20 -21, 2010.
Attend either of these events to hear the keynote presentation by the head of Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems' head of Quality Assurance: Answering the Call for Needing to Know – The Critical Dependence on Advances in Measurement, Inspection and Analysis.
Also available to attendees of either event is a town hall discussion on the Collaboration Challenges in Aerospace & Defense Supply Chains.
Manufacturing Innovations – Aerospace/Defense — A new event designed for professionals involved in the design and manufacture of aerospace and defense parts and components. This event will help manufacturers address an expanding market with specific needs for innovation, precision, accelerated production and improved quality. In addition to the Keynote and Town Hall presentations, attendees will
- Visit leading Aerospace/Defense exhibitors representing the major equipment, software and services employed in the design and manufacture of commercial and military aircraft
- Discuss your production challenges with industry experts and make informed purchase decisions
Aerospace Measurement, Inspection & Analysis — This two-day conference focusing on the unique quality challenges facing aerospace manufacturing. The conference will cover critical areas including:
- Measurement & Inspection Equipment
- Capability Studies (dimension, tolerance)
- Equipment Selection
- For Tooling
- For Components
- For Assemblies & Assembled Aircraft/Vehicles
- Software & Analysis
- Analysis & Reporting Case Studies
- Software Selection & Challenges
SME also produces a number of regional events serving equipment manufacturers and suppliers to the aerospace and defense manufacturing industry:
- WESTEC — This technical conference and expo serves manufacturing professionals looking to keep current on the advanced materials, machining, metalworking fluids, non-traditional machining processes, tooling or mold-making and metrology processes changing the aerospace and defense and renewable energy industries. WESTEC is held every other year. The next WESTEC show will be March 27 – 29, 2012 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
- Composites Manufacturing — SME's Composites Manufacturing conference connects manufacturing engineers and management from the world's dominating industries: aerospace, medical (surgical devices), wind energy, marine and consumer (recreational) products. The technical conference is complemented with exhibits, facility tours, tutorials and networking functions. In 2011, the show will be held at the Dayton Convention Center from April 12 – 14.
- RAPID — This annual event attracts buyers and sellers of additive manufacturing technology, innovative leaders who are advancing manufacturing processes and providing to bring product to market faster. RAPID is co-located with the 3D IMAGING Conference and Tradeshow. Next year's event will be held May 24 - 26, 2011 at the Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, Minneapolis, Minn.
SME also publishes the annual Aerospace & Defense Manufacturing Yearbook. Produced by Manufacturing Engineering, the yearbook provides information on business improvement practices and advanced technologies that have an impact on engine, airframe, rotary wing, naval, space, land-based systems, avionics, defense electronics, and materials manufacturing as well as global trends in the industry, Included are viewpoints from respected top industry professionals.
"Aerospace and defense manufacturing has become extremely sophisticated; each part of the interwoven process that produces the vehicles of tomorrow has become specialized, with its own technologies and manufacturing requirements," Debbie Holton, director, strategic alliances, SME, said. "We consider it our responsibility to provide the knowledge transfer to move the industry ahead."Founded in 1932, the Society of Manufacturing Engineers is the premier source for manufacturing knowledge, education and networking. Through its many programs, events and activities, SME connects manufacturing practitioners to each other, to the latest technology and the most up-to-date processes spanning all manufacturing industries and disciplines, plus the key areas of aerospace and defense, medical device, motor vehicles, including motorsports, oil and gas and alternative energy. A 501(c)3 organization, SME has members around the world and is supported by a network of technical communities and chapters worldwide.
NOTE TO MEDIA: Visit the SME Media Center for the latest Society news, one-stop access to SME Events, Manufacturing Quicklinks, SME social media sites, SME News Feed and more