Pharmacists Offer Guidance on Top Over-The-Counter Medications
WASHINGTON, April 25, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The 2010 Pharmacy Today Over-the-Counter Product Survey, conducted by the American Pharmacists Association, reveals pharmacists believe that 81% of consumers purchase the over-the-counter (OTC) product that was recommended by their pharmacist, 92% of pharmacists walk a patient to the OTC section to assist with a product selection and the average patient consult takes only three minutes of the patient's time.
The annual survey tracks the OTC products that pharmacists are recommending to their patients as well as the interactions they are having with those patients. With more than 100,000 nonprescription medications on the market and more than 1,000 active ingredients, it's critical that patients consult their pharmacist to maximize the benefits from medications and minimize the potential for harmful drug interaction and/or side effects.
Treating and preventing allergy-related symptoms are common inquiries at this time of year. The listing below highlights the #1 recommended products** in the allergy, sinus and general decongestant product categories.
- Anti-snoring Products – Breathe Right Strips (80% of 510 pharmacist recommendations)
- Adult Expectorants – Mucinex/Mucinex D/Mucinex DM (75% of 1,467 pharmacist recommendations)
- Adult Topical Decongestants – Afrin (66% of 669 pharmacist recommendations)
- Adult Decongestants – Sudafed (65% of 2,070 pharmacist recommendations)
- Nasal Decongestants - Saline – Ocean (54% of 1,250 pharmacist recommendations)
- Allergy Ophthalmic Drops – Zaditor (36% of 1,619