COSMED Device Technology in the White House Wellness Center
The White House Medical Unit Wellness Center has been modeled following the successful deployment of the Army Wellness Centers in the US Army bases nationally and internationally.
The Army Wellness Centers are part of the Health Promotion and Wellness initiatives created by the Army Institute of Public Health as part of the Patient-Centered Medical Home and Comprehensive Care Plan.
The Army Wellness Centers Operation Program oversees and manages the development and implementation of Army Wellness Centers across CONUS and OCONUS. There is currently an initiative underway to develop 38 Army Wellness Centers worldwide.
The Army Wellness Centers provide standardized primary prevention programs designed to promote and sustain healthy lifestyles and improve the overall well-being of Soldiers, Family Members, Retirees, and DA Civilians.
Along with improving fitness, programs can directly impact readiness by reducing lost or limited duty time and the number of Soldiers on physical profile. The primary goal of the Army Wellness Centers program is to enhance the self-efficacy of individuals to maintain lifelong healthy behaviors.
The Army Wellness Centers are staffed by nurses and health educators who deliver primary prevention programs. (Primary prevention occurs before disease, injury or disability occurs.) Referrals can be made to the Army Wellness Centers by medical providers or unit commanders.
The White House Medical Unit Wellness Center provides the same prevention and health enhancement programs created for the Army Wellness Centers to the First Family and White House executives and staffs. The Wellness Center programs will be managed by MDs, Physician Assistants (Army Medics), and Physical Therapy professionals of the White House Medical Unit.
Army Wellness Centers
Developed following the Patient-Centered Medical Home and Comprehensive Care Plan, the Army Wellness Centers approach to service is holistic. Staffs members take into account all of an individual's physical, psychological and social circumstances when providing services. A holistic approach is important because a person's health cannot be fully addressed unless we consider the whole person.
- Health assessment: An analysis of a person's health status, risk for disease, and ability to increase physical activity safely.
- Physical fitness: Using state-of-the-art equipment, physical fitness level is assessed and used to create an individualized exercise prescription.
- Healthy nutrition: Use of metabolic testing that synchronizes an individual's resting metabolic rate to provide tailored strategies for weight loss, gain or maintenance.
- Stress management: Education in biofeedback, stress relief techniques, and positive coping skills.
- General wellness education: Classes on topics such as healthy lifestyles, good sleep habits, increased resiliency, preventing chronic disease through healthy living habits, and self-care.
- Tobacco education: An assessment of an individual's readiness to change with a discussion of possible options for becoming tobacco-free.
COSMED has been involved from the very beginning with the Army Institute of Public Health and the Army Wellness Centers Operation in the development of the Army Wellness Center Operation Program by providing its state of the art analyzers for cardiopulmonary exercise testing, nutritional-metabolic assessment and body composition testing. COSMED instruments installed in the Army Wellness Centers and in the White House Medical Unit are:
- The COSMED CPET model FITMATE PRO is the compact version of the world renowned COSMED research grade CPET analyzer and represents a new approach for the measurement of oxygen and energy consumption in both clinical and athletic exercise testing. The instrument measures the amount of oxygen consumed by the body (VO2) allowing for the performance of rest, max and sub-max tests, and the measurement, VO2 Max, and Anaerobic Threshold. Additional features include the calculation of heart rate Training Zones (using the patients’ unique relationship between oxygen consumption and HR), complete Fitness Assessment Programs based on guidelines from the American College of Sports Medicine, and exercise prescription software. The unit is a portable desktop device with a battery charger, large LCD screen, and built-in printer that allows testing under battery power with or without a computer.
- The COSMED RMR model FITMATE PRO-CANOPY is the first portable desktop indirect calorimeter using the dilution technique (expired gas dilutes with room air and a sample of this mixture is then conveyed, at known flow rate, to the COSMED metabolic system where it is analyzed) for the accurate measurement of Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) and assessment of energy requirements of spontaneously breathing subjects. Testing is performed with the use of a ventilated canopy hood with programmable flow rate blower that incorporates the same technology of the Quark RMR and Quark RMR ICU models used in hospitals and nutrition clinics worldwide. The COSMED RMR allows reliable, accurate, easy and quick measurements of Resting Energy Expenditure (REE, RMR) and Energy balance without the need of calibration procedures with gas cylinders. The unit is a portable desktop device with a battery charger, large LCD screen, and built-in printer that allows testing under battery power and with or without a computer. Software includes weekly dietary plan (w/USDA database), individual weight management programs based on Energy Balance equation and integration with physical activity monitors (accelerometers).
- The COSMED BOD POD is the only device available worldwide that utilizes Air Displacement Plethysmography (ADP) technology to determine body composition through whole-body densitometry; accurately providing total weight, absolute (lb.) and percent (%) body fat, and fat-free mass, as well as Thoracic Gas Volume (TGV) measurement. BOD POD’s ADP technology has eliminated the invasiveness of Dual Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry (DXA) as well as the difficulties associated with underwater submersion in hydrostatic weighing. BOD POD unparalleled testing safety allows for measurement of body composition in a wide range of populations without limitations and is ideally suited for frequent testing. Thanks to its unique and unsurpassed combination of accuracy in measurement and versatility in data collection -gender, ethnicity and body density models, and the variety of applications across research and medical centers -obesity, bariatric surgery, diabetes, eating disorders, COMED BOD POD has been recognized as the “Gold Standard” system for body composition assessment worldwide.
More information may be found at www.cosmed.com .