LinkedIn is growing by leaps and bounds. It is considered the pre-eminent business social networking site on the Internet. There are more than 60 million business professionals who have LinkedIn profiles, including an increasing number of surgeons and hospital administrators.
Here is a quick primer on how you can use LinkedIn as a medical device sales representative:
- Build a quality profile for yourself. In your summary, include your value proposition for customers: The products you offer and how you can benefit potential clients. Including a picture on your profile is a must.
- Start building your network. Invite people you know to join your network. Dont be shy about accepting invitations, even from people you dont know. It will help you build your network. Even though LinkedIn cautions against this, there is no real harm in it. If you truly do not want to connect with someone, "archive" their invitation.
- Join a few key groups. This will expand your reach of people you can send messages to. For instance, there is a group called "Orthopedic Surgeons" that might provide you with some good connections.
- Use the search function. Research and connect with potential customers in your area — surgeons, hospital administrators, OR Staff, C-Level contacts. LinkedIn profiles are often rich with background information that could prove incredibly useful during the sales process.
- Ask for recommendations. Once youve begun building your network, ask your current customers for recommendations. These testimonials will build your credibility as you reach out to new potential customers.
Be sure to send me an invite to join your network! You can find me at http://www.linkedin.com/in/lisamcmedicalsalesrecruiter
“Networking is simply the cultivating of mutually beneficial, give and take, win-win relationships. It works best, however, when emphasizing the ‘give’ part. ” -– Bob Burg, author and speaker
Lisa McCallister specializes in recruiting for medical device sales and marketing positions with an operating room focus, such as orthopedics, electrosurgery, endoscopy and a wide range of surgical specialties. She has recruited two Rookie of the Year award winners. Connect with her on LinkedIn or check out her blog, MyJobScope.com.