Rockville, MD -- The Biophysical Society has announced the winners of its second annual CPOW travel awards to attend the Biophysical Society's 56th Annual Meeting at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, California, February 25-29, 2012. CPOW, the Society's Committee for Professional Opportunities for Women (CPOW), has initiated these travel fellowships to increase the number of women biophysicists and encourage their participation at the meeting. The recipients of this competitive award must be postdoctoral fellows presenting a poster or oral presentation at the conference. Each awardee receives a travel grant and will be recognized at a CPOW session on Monday, February 27.
The 2012 recipients of the CPOW Travel Award are:
- Simona Casini, Leiden University, The Netherlands, PLURIPOTENT STEM CELL MODELS OF A CARDIAC SODIUM CHANNELOPATHY.
- Elizabeth Denning, University of Maryland, Baltimore, IMPACT OF TMAO ON THE PREQ1 RNA RIBOSWITCH STUDIED USING MOLECULAR DYNAMICS SIMULATIONS.
- Vivian Gonzalez-Perez, Washington University, STEREOSPECIFIC BINDING OF AN INTRINSICALLY DISORDERED N-TERMINAL INACTIVATION DOMAIN DISTINGUISHES BK AND SHAKER INACTIVATION MECHANISMS.
- Sabine Groenke, University of Cologne, Germany, ATRIAL-SPECIFIC NCX KO MICE REVEAL DEPENDENCE OF SINOATRIAL NODE PACEMAKER ACTIVITY ON SODIUM-CALCIUM EXCHANGE.
- Johanna Lanner, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden, ENDURANCE EXERCISE INCREASES FORCE PRODUCTION IN MOUSE FAST-TWITCH MUSCLES.
- Pascaline Ngweniform, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada, DISSECTING THE ROLES OF THE EXTRACELLULAR REGIONS IN APELIN PEPTIDE-RECEPTOR BINDING.
- Padmini Rangamani, University of California, Berkeley, ROLE OF LIPID TILT IN ENDOCYTOSIS.
- Anna Shnyrova, University of the Basque Country, Leioa, Spain, SPATIO-TEMPORAL ORGANIZATION OF A MINIMAL DYNAMIN MACHINERY PRODUCING MEMBRANE FISSION.
- Sharmistha Sinha, Iowa State University, MULTIFUNCTIONAL ASPECTS OF PDUA SHELL PROTEIN FROM THE MICROCOMPARTMENTS OF SALMONELLA ENTERICA.
- Megan Thielges, Stanford University, DYNAMICS AT SPECIFIC SITES IN PROTEINS STUDIED BY 2D IR VIBRATIONAL ECHO SPECTROSCOPY.
- Li Wang, University of Iowa, CROSS-BRIDGE KINETICS IN PAPILLARY MUSCLE FIBERS FROM TRANSGENIC MICE EXPRESSING THE ASPARGINE-47 TO LYSINE (N47K) MUTATION IN MYOSIN REGULATORY LIGHT CHAIN.
- Tingting Yang, Columbia University, REM INHIBITS CAV1.2 CHANNELS USING BOTH BETA-BINDING DEPENDENT AND INDEPENDENT MECHANISMS.