The organizers of the 6th International UHMWPE Meeting — University of Torino, Implant Research Center of Drexel University and Exponent — are inviting authors to submit presentation proposals on advancements in medical grade ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) technology and clinical joint replacement applications prior to May 1.
Engineers, scientists, and clinicians from academia and industry are invited to present leading edge research during the 6th International UHMWPE Meeting from October 10 to 11, Thursday and Friday, at the Congress Center "Unione Industriale" in central Torino, Italy.
Sponsored by Ticona, the engineering polymers business of Celanese Corporation that is the world's leading producer of UHMWPE under the trade name GUR, the meeting will focus on clinical and retrieval studies of standard, crosslinked, and stabilized UHMWPE with a special emphasis on:
- Performance of thin acetabular liners and knee arthroplasty
- Advances in Vitamin E and new antioxidant technologies for UHMWPE
- Structural composites and woven fiber applications of medical grade UHMWPE
- Advances in biologic aspects of UHMWPE wear debris incorporating Vitamin E
GUR UHMWPE is an extremely versatile polymer that has become the material of choice for joint replacements with high functionality over a long usage life thanks to its excellent combination of properties: biocompatibility, high abrasion resistance, impact strength, fatigue resistance and crack resistance.
An abstract template is available for download. Once completed, submitters can email their abstracts no later than May 1 to Steve Kurtz. Abstracts submitted after this date may not be considered for inclusion in the meeting. Abstracts will be evaluated by the Scientific Committee for inclusion in the program, either as a podium talk or as a poster presentation.
The 6th International UHMWPE Meeting will address key questions:
- How far can we push the envelope with HXLPE in THA? When does thin become TOO thin?
- Does clinical and retrieval data support the use of HXLPE in TKA?
- Which are the most promising antioxidants for medical grade UHMWPE?
- What new additive technologies have recently emerged for HXLPE?
- Do antioxidants improve the biocompatibility of UHMWPE debris?
The UHMWPE meeting in Torino is co-organized in collaboration with the Combined Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Societies (CORS 2013), which will be held October 13 to 16, Sunday through Wednesday, in nearby Venice.