WASHINGTON, D.C. (Wednesday, August 25, 2010) - The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) will present an exciting exhibit of genetically engineered (GE) animal technologies at its Livestock Biotech Summit . The first national industry conference on GE animal technologies will take place in Sioux Falls, S.D. September 28-30, 2010.
"Similar to the animals showcased at our 2010 BIO International Convention, these animals represent the present and future of genetically engineered animal technologies," said Dr. David Edwards, BIO's Director of Animal Biotechnology.
The lineup of GE animals to be represented at the Livestock Biotech Summit will include:
- Pigs that have been genetically engineered to produce human compatible donor tissues, cells and organs;
- Cattle that have been genetically engineered to produce human antibodies that can help prevent and/or treat a wide variety of human health conditions and diseases;
- Cattle that have been genetically engineered to be "prion-free" and therefore resistant to bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, or "mad cow disease"); and
- Goats that have been genetically engineered to produce a spider silk fiber in its milk. With its strength and elasticity, the spider silk has a variety of applications such as providing artificial ligaments and tendons, eye sutures, and for jaw repair. The silk could also have industrial applications in bulletproof vests and improved automobile airbags.
The Livestock Biotech Summit will provide participants three days of cross-cutting discussions among industry, academic and government leaders on the care and use of animals in research and the many possibilities in the realm of GE animal research, regulation, and funding within the biotechnology industry.
Complete Program Information is now available on the Livestock Biotech Summit website .
South Dakota Bio Pre-Event: In addition to the programming at the BIO Livestock Biotech Summit, the South Dakota Biotech Association will host a pre-event session on the afternoon of Monday, September 27th in Sioux Falls. More information on this can be found about it here .
Who Should Attend the Livetsock Biotech Summit?
- IACUC Members
- Academic & Industrial Scientists
- Genetic Engineering Researchers
- Research Animal Suppliers
- Drugs & Vaccine Developers/Manufacturers
- Serum and Blood Producers
- Biomedical Device Producers
- Animal Disease Model Developers
- Xenotranplantation Specialists
ARPAS (American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists ) members will earn 19 CEU's for attendance at the Livestock Biotech Summit!
Registration and Housing: Registration is now open and attendees can register online at www.bio.org/livestockbiotechsummit .
Reserve your hotel room
Reserve your hotel room early and take advantage of the group discount rate of $89 per night. Availability is limited, so act fast.
Media Registration: All programs at the Livestock Biotech Summit are open to attendance by members of the media.* Complimentary media registration is available to editors and reporters working full time for print, broadcast or web publications with valid press credentials. Valid press credentials include:
- Official photo identification from employing news agency
- A by-lined story from employing news agency dated within the last six months
- A publication masthead listing you as an editorial contributor. Freelance journalists may also apply for complimentary media registration, but must present:
- A signed letter on company letterhead from your assignment editor confirming your assignment to cover the event
- A by-lined story dated within the last six months
BIO Acknowledges the Support Provided by the Livestock Biotech Summit Sponsors
South Dakota Governor's Office of Economic Development
Trans Ova Genetics
South Dakota State University
Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), Animal Care - USDA
University of Illinois
South Dakota Biotech Association
Upcoming BIO Events
BIO India 
September 21 - 22, 2010
September 28-30, 2010,
Sioux Falls, SD
October 5-6, 2010
San Francisco, CA
BIO Intellectual Property Counsels Committee Fall Conference and Committee Meeting 
November 12-14, 2010
November 15-17, 2010
December 11-14, 2010
BIO represents more than 1,200 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world's largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world. BIO produces BIOtech Now , an online portal and monthly newsletter chronicling "innovations transforming our world." Subscribe to BIOtech Now.