Covidien , a leading global provider of healthcare products and recognized innovator in patient monitoring and respiratory care devices, has released a new interface making the INVOS™ cerebral oximetry system compatible with the Nuvon System. The technology allows hospitals to integrate patient data with Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems.
The interface comes at a time when hospitals are increasingly focused on EMRs—largely due to the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act, which incents hospitals to adopt EMRs by 2015 or face reduced Medicare or Medicaid reimbursement payments.
“The overwhelming trend in healthcare IT and EMR adoption necessitates that all devices be connected,” said Matthew Anderson, Vice President and General Manager, Patient Monitoring, Respiratory and Monitoring Solutions, Covidien. “Our partnership with Nuvon enables our customers to enhance their delivery of efficient and effective care for their patients while helping facilitate compliance with the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act.”
Covidien products compatible with the Nuvon interface include:
- INVOS™ Cerebral/Somatic oximeter - This monitoring solution simultaneously monitors, in real-time, blood oxygen saturation in the brain and in other tissue beneath the sensor, helping clinicians detect and correct problems that can lead to serious complications or poor patient outcomes.
- Nellcor™ N-600x pulse oximeter - This system continuously monitors oxygen saturation (SpO2) and pulse rate in adult, pediatric and neonatal patients, providing precise readings during low perfusion and other challenging conditions. With SatSeconds™ alarm management technology, the system also reduces clinically non-significant alarms.
- Oridion Capnostream® 20 patient monitor - A bedside capnography monitor for all hospital settings and patient types featuring Microstream® Smart CapnographyTM, a family of algorithms that can reduce clinically insignificant alarms (and alarm fatigue) and thus help improve patient safety.
- BIS™ Vista brain monitoring system - For use during surgery, this system helps clinicians assess patient consciousness levels and tailor anesthesia dosing by measuring electrical activity in the brain. The system obtains brain activity readings through a forehead sensor. These readings are then converted into a value of 0 (no brain activity) through 100 (high brain activity) to represent the level of patient consciousness.
- Puritan Bennett™ 840 ventilator – This high-performance, cost-effective ventilator is designed to help clinicians improve outcome and care in patients of all ages. Customized features and advanced technology, such as leak compensation and trending software, enable clinicians to deliver individualized care with improved patient-ventilator synchrony. The ventilator also features a user-friendly, LCD color-touch screen.
Covidien, a leading global provider of healthcare products and recognized innovator in patient monitoring and respiratory care devices, has released a new interface making the INVOS™ cerebral oximetry system compatible with the Nuvon System. The technology allows hospitals to integrate patient data with Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems.